The Weill Cornell Medicine Wellness Qlinic is the first student-run clinic focused on addressing the mental health disparities faced by the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) communities in New York City.
We provide free mental health care to members of the LGBTQ+ population, including those with substance use disorders.
- Provide free psychiatric and mental health care for LGBTQ-identifying people
- Advocate for and improve access to mental and behavioral LGBTQ health services
- Create educational and research opportunities for students, residents, and faculty in the Weill Cornell Medicine community in the field of LGBTQ mental and behavioral health
- Develop partnerships with NYC community resources dedicated to the LGBTQ population
The Wellness Qlinic
At the Wellness Qlinic, our clinical model integrates psychological or psychiatric therapy with team-based treatment. Patients receive care from a medical team led by resident physicians who collaborate with medical students. We strive to provide the best possible treatment through continuity and long-term follow-up.
Attending psychiatrists and psychologists are also onsite to oversee the residents and students. Our patients usually meet with more than one health care provider in the same room during their appointment.
To participate in the Wellness Qlinic, our volunteers undergo an 8-week training course that includes:
- Educating students and staff about motivational interviewing
- Group therapy sessions
- LGBTQ health and disparities
- Mental health disorders, particularly in the LGBTQ population
- Psychiatric evaluations
Our staff are also trained to manage the long-term care of patients under the supervision and guidance of attending physicians and residents employed at Weill Cornell Medicine and New York Presbyterian Hospital.
Our free services are provided regardless of insurance status, with priority given to LGBTQ+-identifying un/under-insured patients whose treatment needs match the services we provide.
To learn more about the services we provide or to request an appointment, visit our Patient Care page.